Redesign your office space: boost your physical activity at work
- Wednesday August 28th 2019
In the design of the majority of the office spaces, physical activity has not been considered. In the office space, most people spend a large amount of their time sitting behind their desk. In this blog, we will address three ways in which you can boost your physical activity at your office space, with some of their pros and cons.
There are several reasons why having limited physical movement on the daily basis has a negative impact on your health conditions.Your body burns a limited number of calories, which increases the risk of weight gain. Besides, there is an increased risk of getting type 2 diabetes and heart diseases. You can however, limit the risks that come with limited physical activity by redesigning your office space.
The standing desk
The term ‘standing desk’ is one you might have heard of already. This upcoming product exists out of a desk that can be adjusted in height, providing you with the opportunity to stand whilst working in your office space. In this case, the desk is a lot higher and therefore ideal for working whilst standing. As a result, your working day will include a great amount of additional movement. Nevertheless, this type of desk has its trade-offs as well.
- It can boost productivity and cognitive functioning in your office space;
- Compared to sitting, your body will burn a lot more calories during the day;
- Standing up increases your blood flow, engaging the core, glutes and leg muscles.
- Standing for long periods of time can lead to joint and back pain, swelling, and fatigue;
- Standing can aggravate bad posture if you do not pay attention to proper ergonomics.
The active chair or stability ball
In case you do not like the idea of standing for long periods of time during the day, but you would like with a more active posture, an active chair or stability ball might be an option for you. In this case, the desk is also higher compared to a regular desk. With an active chair in your office space, you are not fully sitting on a chair but you are not fully standing up either. Sitting on an active chair gives you the freedom to rock, tip, twist, and move while sitting. A stability ball, is an inflated ball constructed of soft PVC material which gives you more freedom as well.
- It can increase in overall active muscle use;
- The overall metabolic response increases;
- It provides a greater oxygen consumption.
- Due to an increase in load on the lumbar area, the active chair can cause lower back strain;
- The backless and armless seating can cause some discomfort.
The compact elliptical trainer
If you do not like the idea of (partially) standing up during in your office space, a compact elliptical trainer could be used at work by placing it under your desk. Such an elliptical trainer offers a low-impact cardio workout in your own office space while keeping your arms free to work.
- It is a portable trainer and does not take up a lot of space, since it is placed under your desk;
- By using the elliptical trainer at work, your body will burn more calories during the day.
- There is a little change of injuries;
- The elliptical trainer can be adjusted in terms of speed and intensity.
- When you have a knee condition or injury, it might cause knee pain;
- It might be too large of an investment to buy an elliptical trainer for each employee, because one elliptical trainer will cost somewhere between €150 and €250;
- An elliptical trainer can make some noise, this can be distracting during work.
Are you planning to redesign your office space?
All in all, studies show that an active office space creates social awareness about the importance of physical activity and therefore helps to facilitate physical engagement in the office environment. Next time you want to spice up your office space, some emphasis on physical activity during work might be worth keeping in mind! Contact us now and get more information on how to boost your physical activity by redesigning your office space.